Disability Services

Disability Services

Disability Services at UOW provides reasonable adjustment advice and support for current and prospective students with a disability or health condition. Our aim is to ensure that students with a disability realise their full academic potential despite their disability.

If you have a disability, register with us as soon as possible in order to receive additional support and advice. If you have complex requirements it is even more important to contact us early so that we may arrange your support in a timely manner.

As part of Student Support and Peer Learning, Disability Services is committed to creating a safe and productive environment for registered students.

Disability Liaison Officer

The Disability Liaison Officer (DLO) can provide advice on how particular disabilities affect university study and information on resources available at the University for assisting students with disability. Jen Illingsworth will be available to assist students requiring this service at UOW Batemans Bay by appointment.

Appointments can be booked by contacting the Campus office on 4472 2125. Consultations are held at the campus in G15. 

For further information telephone Disability Services on 1300 303 455 or 4221 4942, visit our website or contact the campus office on 4472 2125.

Registration of disability

In order to make use of the facilities available at the University, students must first register with the Disability Liaison Officer by providing a recent specialist's assessment of their disability. This specialist assessment should also provide advice to the University on the type of assistance students may require in order to pursue their studies. This information enables the University to provide appropriate assistance and make wise use of public funds provided to Universities. Generally, mobility difficulties and medical conditions require documentation from a medical specialist; learning difficulties require assessment from an educational psychologist or consultant; psychiatric disabilities require assessment from a psychiatrist or clinical psychologist. The DLO can advise students on the forms of assessment which are acceptable to the University. Registered students should advise the DLO if they alter their subject enrolment, take leave of absence or discontinue their studies.

Disclosure Permission

In most cases, it is in the best interest of students with a disability or medical condition to inform teaching staff of their needs. This enables staff to adapt their teaching practice to a specific disability. If students sign a disclosure consent form the DLO can communicate their needs to teaching staff. Alternatively, students can speak to teaching staff about what they require.

Independent Learning Program

Once registered, the Disability Liaison Officer can provide referral to the University's programs and resources for students with disability. The DLO will discuss the setting up of an Independent Learning Program which will involve assessing the skills needed to meet the demands of the course; how to develop these skills and the resources which the University can provide. This may involve developing study skills in a manner which is appropriate for a specific disability; learning to use assistive technology or making use of resources such as notetakers or alternative assessment systems.

Independent Learning Skills

Students with disability at the University of Wollongong need to ensure that they take responsibility for their learning through the development of generic skills. For students with disability this will mean developing their learning skills to the limits of their capacity. This may involve specialised assistance in the development of particular learning skills or it may mean developing skills in the use of assistive technology.

Last reviewed: 9 January, 2017

Aboriginal Engagement

Find out about the Aboriginal Community engagement projects at UOW Batemans Bay.

UOWx logo